Monday, October 15, 2012

Starting the first day of my new life!



Where do I begin???? I am excited and nervous at the same time. What a day!

I met with Vanessa today to get her recommendations on my health. I was shocked and pleasantly surprised. I am not really sure what I was expecting, but my experience today was totally different from what I had envisioned. We sat down and began to talk. Once again, I feel like I have known her forever and that in her eyes, I am a person and not a number. Looking back, I think that was the most surprising part of the entire visit. The only reference that I have to compare to is the communication that I have had within the medical community. Do you know what I mean? Usually when I go to the doctor for a follow-up, I spend several hours in the physician’s office but in reality, I spend less than 10 minutes actually talking to the physician. The physician will tell me that my results are back and then do one of three things: Tell me everything is normal and to come back when needed, tell me that something is abnormal and write a prescription for a medication, or tell me that I need further tests and to see the person at the front desk to arrange for the test.

Since Vanessa is not a physician, she takes a different approach. First she explained how she had reviewed my entire medical chart that I had provided, including my medications, lab results, and family history. She explained that after doing this she spent time researching all of the findings. At this point, she pulled out a huge dossier that she had designed just for me and we began to go through it.

She explained to me that her goal is to increase my health through the use of diet and lifestyle change. Based on my health issues, my lab results and my physical complaints, she recommends that I change my dietary habits. Specifically removing gluten and cow dairy from my diet. At first, I thought I would pass out from shock, and let's face it fear. My 2 favorite things in the world bread and dairy! But she immediately assured me that I was capable of achieving this and that she would be with me every step of the way.

She told me that she has been gluten and dairy free due to being diagnosed with Celiac disease and that she would not take anything away without giving me multiple food options to replace the items removed.

The dossier had important information about going gluten free and she even had recipes and daily meal plans if I felt that I needed a structured plan to work from.

After talking for a bit, I decided that I want to give this a try.  I am tired of feeling physically ill, overweight and being exhausted all of the time. I am also tired of feeling that my life is out of control.

The next step is one that I am really looking forward to! Vanessa is taking me shopping! She is going to help me learn to shop gluten and dairy free and is going to help me learn to make better nutritional choices.

Before leaving, I was given phones numbers where I could reach Vanessa and Q if I should have issues or questions and Vanessa told me that I could text her at any time and she would text me back!

This is the first time in a long time that I am actually hopeful and excited about changing my lifestyle. Let me know what you think!

Next time you hear from me, I will be gluten and cow dairy free!

No comments:

Post a Comment