Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Beginning the road to recovery


I met with Vanessa today! What a great experience! I was very surprised when I arrived at the office. I was expecting a typical Dr.’s office environment. I could not have been more mistaken.

Q met me in the lobby to welcome me and to show me around the office.  There is a beautiful kitchen that I am told is where they host classes on healthy cuisine and meal planning. I then had the pleasure of spending time getting acquainted with Q in her office. She asked questions about my life and I could tell that she was genuinely interested in me as a person. I am sure that I don’t have to tell you how unusual and unique that is for a healthcare facility. She explained that I could call her anytime I had questions and that she would love to talk to me and answer any questions.

Suddenly, the tiny whirlwind known as Vanessa comes in. She has the biggest presence in the smallest body that I have ever seen. She is like an animated porcelain doll! I was invited into Vanessa’s comfortable “office” complete with stuffed chairs.

Vanessa and I sat and began talking. She asked me questions that no one had ever asked me before. She wanted to know about my life and lifestyle. She asked about my husband, children, grandchildren and parents. We discussed my genealogy and family history.  We moved from the topic of family to questions about hobbies, work/ life balance and home life. 

Then Vanessa asked me questions about my physical health. I was amazed and extremely happy when instead of cutting me off in mid sentence or telling me “ oh, that’s normal for a woman your age”, she instead listened and assured me that there had to be an explanation for my symptoms. Never once did she tell me that what I was experiencing was normal, nor did she make light of my symptoms.  She also reviewed the medical information that I had brought with me. It was the first time in my adult life that I was able to describe my concerns and feelings without being cut off or made to feel that I was racing a clock. In fact, when I entered the office, Vanessa took her watch off and put in out of sight.

When I finished telling her what I felt were my physical and health issues, she asked me several questions. She then told me that she thought she had an idea of what was going on with me and that she was going to research and review everything and she would like for me to come back in a week.

I left the office feeling like a weight had been lifted! Never in my entire adult life has anyone in the health field really listened to me. I have always felt rushed and herded like cattle in healthcare settings.  As I started the engine of my car, I looked at the clock. I had been with Vanessa for almost 2 hours.  She had given me 2 hours of her time and actually LISTENED to me!!!! The funny thing about it was, I did not feel like I was talking to a healthcare provider, I felt like I was with an old friend.

I can’t wait to go back next week to find out what her plan is.

2 comments:

  1. Very excited for you. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am sooo excited! I know she can help me to feel better! Love you too!

    ReplyDelete