Saturday, November 24, 2012

I am so Thankful this Season!



Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! I hope Thursday was a wonderful day and that the rest of your holiday season is blessed! I am writing this at 0515 because I cannot stay in the bed any longer. Why is it that on workdays, I drag out at 0430 with the alarm and wish I could stay in bed but on off days I am up at 0400?

Today, I am going to try and put a dent in my Christmas gift making. I have almost finished the family calendar, I have one of two books written for the grandkids and ready to go to the publisher, but the majority of the gifts are just ideas in my head at this point.

I have never been this far behind at Christmas before. I cannot seem to get anything done because I am either in the hospital or too exhausted mentally from being at the hospital. I am thinking that it is time for a change. Everyday that I wake up, I realize that life is too short to be this stressed. I am planning my escape!!!! More details on that topic later.

This year, I made my Thanksgiving dishes gluten and cow dairy free!!! I modified existing recipes and my family loved them. In fact, except for Adrienne and Whitney, no one knew that they were not the original recipes!

While I was cooking for Thanksgiving, however, I encountered a dilemma. Have any of you southern ladies ever thought about how many recipes that are handed down from our mothers and grandmothers contain condensed soups? What is a casserole without cream of some kind of soup?  Well, have any of you ever read the ingredients in a can of condensed soup? It contains wheat and MSG!!!! Needless to say, I won’t ever be using them again! But what, am I going to do?  Some of the recipes are so good and bring back memories of my childhood.  So I researched and here is what I found!!! I am including the link to the blog along with the recipe. Thanks to Jill who put this on her blog!


Soup or Sauce [S.O.S.] Mix
Ingredients
¾  cup cornstarch
1/4  cup instant chicken bouillon (regular or low sodium)

2 Tbsp dried onion flakes
2 tsp Italian seasoning (optional)
Directions 
Combine all ingredients in a recloseable plastic bag, mixing well.
 Equal to 9 (10.5 oz) cans of cream soup. To use: combine 1/3 cup mix to 1 ¼ cups water and cook on stovetop or in microwave until thick then use in your recipe.

When I discovered this I was ecstatic but then I realized that I couldn’t have the non-fat dry milk. So, I searched and found a solution. I used :




I found this is in the Asian grocery store. The results are great and it tastes really good.
Let me know what you think! Talk to you soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment